The Drip: Behind the Scenes at WaterTower Theatre

Monday, June 19, 2006

Camper Profile: Shayna Hill

By the time I was three I knew exactly how to pop in videos in the VCR. I grew up watching and loving Disney, Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins and all the other classics. I've always loved film, stage, singing and acting. But it was 2002 when I caught the virus. The Broadway bug. I was a first time camper, only 14 years old, in WTT's Summer Musical Camp. That summer we produced Fiddler on the Roof, Jr., and by the next year, I was a Junior Intern and casted as Ado Annie's understudy for our version of Oklahoma. The experience of growing up in a theatre is indescribable. My exposure to all the aspects of theatre, such as performing, producing, designing, directing, etc, captivates me. The classes are educational and helpful and the guidance of professionals is inspiring and motivational. I've learned to be an artist, worker and professional. The teamwork and dedication to make art is a beautiful thing that I know I want to be apart of for the rest of my life.

I am now 18 and about to head out to UT to chase my dream, and this summer marks my fifth and last year in Addison. School House Rock, Live! is just another fun and exciting show here at WTT. Already the show is coming together and looking great. The kids are amazing little boogers that I absolutely adore. I can't believe it's already been two weeks (including intern week). In another two weeks, we will be on that stage, which is my last time, and it's going to feel great. I've had the opportunity to mentor and grow right beside these campers, including my little sister, and its going to be sad to leave. But I can't wait to see them in the following years take up the duties of internship and produce the art that they love.

This camp is special for it is the strings that tie me to Meredith Cook. We both live in Mesquite but attend different high schools and WTT reunites us every summer. She is like my twin and we've been right with each other all these years. Mark Mullino, our director, has given us the privilege this year of singing a duet in the famous song "We the People." Together we will sit on stools, side by side and sing our farewells to WTT, our directors, our peers and each other. Camp has been a big part of my life; it was there that I began to believe that my dreams weren't silly and can come true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home