The Drip: Behind the Scenes at WaterTower Theatre

Friday, June 09, 2006

Camp Update...

Today I had the privilege of teaching a workshop for our interns during our Summer Camp. Entitled, How to Audition For Musical Theatre, we looked at the sometimes scary, but ever-necessary beast of singing at an audition. Each intern had the opportunity to get up in front of their peers and I, and with Vonda Bowling sight reading for them, they sang their audition piece. We then broke it down as a group. Looking at who exactly they are telling this story to, why are they telling it, and making it as personal to themselves as possible. I talked about the importance of going into the audition room with a need and desire to tell this story (sing the song.) And while, yes, the musicality of it is very important, what makes you stand out above the masses is acting your song. If you are really telling me something about yourself and not just singing pretty notes, I am immediately invested in what you have to say.


I can not say enough about how amazing these kids were. They each trusted me and each other enough to get up and share a piece of themselves. Each of them had to audition to get a spot as an intern for our camp, so I knew they would be talented, but I had no idea the level would be that high. They are dynamic and talented and so dedicated to their art. And, MAN, can they sing!!! I feel closer to each of the interns for letting me into their world and trusting me to help. I went into this class knowing that I wanted to teach them but, in truth they taught me. I came away from class inspired by their bravery and heart. So I am sending out a HUGE thank you to all of my interns for everything that they do!! I love you guys!


-Stacey Oristano

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home